It is not surprising that the other towers that have graced the campus landscape have largely been forgotten. When archives staff members first encountered the postcard above, we wondered whether the artist had used creative license to beautify Mead Hall. After a little research, we can vouch for the artist’s accuracy.
Mead Hall stands in the shadow of its sister to the east, Saint Mary Hall. Built in 1893 and 1894, Mead Hall today appears an unassuming addition to the University of Saint Mary’s first and oldest building. Indeed, the Kansas City Catholic described it as a “wing.” It was, however, a beautiful wing, with steam heating, hot and cold running water, and over 110 rooms.
The wing’s two towers received no special mention in the newspaper account. However, one cannot help but wonder whether the taller of the two towers was intended to replace Saint Mary Hall’s lost tower.
The two historic towers – the north and the east, -- on the administrative building erected
during the administration of Mother Mary Peter Dwyer [Mead Hall] are being razed.
The corner stone on the building bears the date 1893. The north tower all shall miss
because from its height hung the community bell with its deep resonance and beauty
of tone. It will be removed to the aluminum tower built on the Academy.
The spire we know and love, presumably the very same aluminum tower mentioned in the chronicle, is much more than a tower. It is a symbol of loss and redemption. It commemorates a faith that holds even when the world around us falls apart. It marks a holy place. It is not a replacement, but a reminder.
Because the community chronicler of 1935 was a sister of few words, we turn to the student newspaper, Saint Mary Taper, for commentary on the new Saint Mary’s Hall tower:
Tall and graceful, the new tower stands coolly poised – a lovely lady midst buildings
which kneel at her finger-tips. The night angels rest on the coppery dome waiting to
wrap the blue cape of evening about the shoulders of day, the lady moon dresses
her hair in the silvery moonlight of its heights. It is not hard to fancy in the moonlight
that shadows are a ghost tower and the crystal shafts of moonwhite are reflections
from a long gone cross. This new mistress of the campus is not the first to be gracious
hostess at the Academy main entrance: her predecessor, the first spire of Mount Saint
Mary fell in the cyclone, the evening of the Feast of the Sacred Heart, June 16, 1882.
But even in the hour of her darkest tragedy Saint Mary received blessings….”
 “Dedication of the $100,000 Annex to Mount St. Mary’s Academy, Leavenworth. Kansas City Catholic. December 13, 1894, 1. Mead Hall Building File, Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Archives. Leavenworth, Kansas.
 Community Chronicle, Vol. 7, 49. Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Archives.
 “Spire Recalls Apparition of Blessed Virgin During Storm Which Destroyed First Tower.” Saint Mary Taper Vol. 6, Number 3, 3. Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Archives.