A colony of the Sisters of Leavenworth was called for in 1870 by the Catholics of Eudora, a German settlement. This place is twenty-eight miles from Leavenworth and seven miles from Lawrence, where the Sisters already had a mission. Sister Mary Baptist, Sister Clara, and Sister Mary Ursula were sent there. The resident pastor was Rev. John Pichler.
Shortly after the Sisters were located in Eudora, Mother Xavier, who had never seen the place, determined to pay them a visit. She remained in Lawrence a few days, and then with Mother Vincent started on the intended trip.
Rev. Father Pichler, who had never seen Mother Xavier, and wishing to do her honor, on hearing of the coming visit, hastened to Lawrence to meet her and escort her thence to Eudora. On his arrival at Lawrence, he was told that the two venerable Mothers, escorted by the pastor of the place, Rev. John F. Cunningham, had, about an hour before his arrival, left for Eudora. Father Pichler immediately retraced his steps in order to enjoy as much as possible of their company, as he knew their stay must necessarily be brief. Father Pichler was one of the smallest of men; Mother Xavier was a small woman, but Father Pichler barely came to her shoulder.
The company arrived in Eudora, and after having had some conversation with the Sisters, they partook of their dinner and went afterwards into the school-yard, where the children were gayly disporting themselves. They were brought forward to salute the visitors, when just at this time Fatehr Pichler arrived on the scene. When Mother Xavier saw Father Pichler approaching, she said with an affable smile, “Ah! Here is another of your promising young pupils,” and was just about to pat him on the head, when Father Cunningham tapped her on the arm, and, to her dismay, she discovered she had nearly patted on the head of the priest of the parish. Mother Xavier, when she was made to understand what she had nearly done, laughed very merrily – so did Father Pichler.
 According to William G. Cutler’s History of the State of Kansas, the German Church of the Holy Family was founded on October 1, 1864 as a German Catholic parish.
 Sister Clara Kammer (d. 1899) and Sister Mary Ursula Sebus (d. 1880) were born in Germany and probably spoke both German and English. Sister Mary Baptist Carney was born in Ireland. Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Archives.
 According to the 1880 US Census, John Pickler was born in 1847 in Austria. He would have been about 23 years old at the time of this event.
 John F. Cunningham was born in 1842 in Ireland. Cunningham served parishes throughout Kansas and was appointed Bishop of Concordia in 1898.